Should John John Be Surfing At J-Bay? Mason Ho's Crazy Tube Stances On An MR Twinnie, and Conner Coffin at Cloudbreak
COASTALWATCH | THIS WEEK IN SURFING
Ten Things From Surfing & the Internet on the Week That Was June 28, 2019
1. Rio Has Been Run, Has Been Won, Sally Is Now Number 1
If you want the best read on how the fifth event of the year went down, look no further than Sean Doherty's daily reports of the event. In a nutshell though, the big stories out of Rio, in bullet point form are as follows:
– John John Florence injured his knee, leg, ACL, something... and had to pull out of the event before his quarter-final with Jordy Smith. With a commanding lead in World Rankings, this has huge implications on the World Title race. Whispers are that the injury is quite bad – like if-he-was-a-footy-player-he'd-be-out-for-the-rest-of-the-year bad – and those same whispers are also saying that despite the injury, John intends to surf in the Corona Open J-Bay. If both parts of those whispers are true, it kinda feels like a Parko 2009 situation – otherwise known as a bad decision. They are just whispers though, and if that childhood whispering game taught me anything, it's that whispers have iron-clad clarity you can trust with all your heart. What do you thinK?
– Sally Fitzgibbons won, and took the World No.1 ranking from Steph Gilmore. This bit of news co-inciding with Australian Ash Bartie becoming World No.1 in the world of tennis, and Hannah Green winning the US PGA put Sally alongside these other world beating Aussie women on the front page of The Age and at the top of every sports news story in Australia this week. It was nice.
– Filipe Toledo won, giving him a solid place in that top 3 of the World Title race just before the halfway mark of the CT season. That top 4-6 looks quite locked now, and with an epic battlle for the crown really starting to set up. Medina, out the back at eighth would need a very strong back-half of the year to make a back to back title happen, which of course he is oh so more than capable of. John John's injury won't not not not help either.
2. John John's YouTube Vlogging Gets Going
Speaking of John, this week he dropped this behind the scenes clip from the first event of the year, opening up his YouTube for regular style surf-vlogging. This video is available to watch in 4K, if you want to see John John's haircut in incredible detail, and why wouldn't you?
3. John John and Epic J-Bay
Not content with one clip on his YouTube channel this week, Johnny dropped this throwback to a 2017 J-Bay freesurf session too. With J-Bay starting in a week and a half, it's a bit of hype clip... but, I dunno, I've got my shoulders bunched up around my neck and my face scrunched up to a squint as I watch this clip... is John really going to surf J-Bay under an injury cloud? I'm scared. He is ripping in this though.
4. Brendon Gibbens For Banks
Kai Neville surf movie alumni Brendon Gibbens has a new cold water South African edit and it’s quite good. Gee they get some good waves in that country, don’t they? These clips come from the last month near Brendon’s home around the Western Cape.
5. Conner Coffin's Is Probably The Best Clip This Week
A departure from regular programming, Conner Coffin's YouTube channel released this no-jersey freesurf edit that takes in epic Cloudbreak, J-Bay, and Pipe. I'll tell you one thing for free, that Conner Coffin... not a shit surfer. Nope, not at all.
6. Is Jaleesa Vincent The Coolest Person in Surfing Right Now?
This isn't so much a surf clip, more of an arty lifestyle clip by women's Counter Culture outfit Patti that features some very good freesurfing by Jaleesa in the middle. It's also soundtracked by her band SKREECH. If there was a second coming of Ozzie Wright, don't you think it would be Jaleesa Vincent?
7. Occy Starred In A Clip For JS
What a wonderful world we live in, where 80s surf stars become World Champions in the late 90s, and can still throw new surf videos at us 20 years after that! God bless this wonderful, magical surf time we live in.
8. Speaking of Occ, He Played Mugatu This Week
For a funny little Billabong ad, Occy did some acting. And it's a rule universally acknowledged that whenever Occy does some form of acting, I have to put it in This Week In Surfing. If I don't the Internet surf gods will smite me down with all their might till I am but a small pile of ash atop the keyboard of a MacBook Air.
9. Mason Ho on an MR Twinnie
Summer in the islands doesn’t look so bad, hey? The funnest surfer on the planet shot this a couple days ago surfing atop a ...Lost board model called the "California Twin”, which is a collaboration with Mark Richards and Mase’s regular shaper Matt Biolos. How good is that front arm rail-grab tube stall he does at the .50 second mark?
10. More Jackson Dorian Freakshow Waco Footage
This actually came out last week, but I missed it somehow. Anyway, little Jacko Dorio is progressing at a scary rate and it's quite fun to watch. These airs are outrageous. Can't wait to see him in the 2024, 2028, and 2032 Olympics.
And that was this week in surfing. Have a good weekend everyone!
Revisiting the Best CT of All Time (Mexico), Fresh Pumping Merewether Footage, and "That" Rock-Off Clip
This Week In Surfing: Ten Things from Surfing & the Internet on the Week That Was May 29 2020
Dane Reynolds Meets a Sick Wedge, Tyler Wright on 60 Minutes, and Who'll Be Inducted into the Aus Surfing Hall of Fame This Sunday?
This Week In Surfing: Ten Things from Surfing & the Internet on the Week That Was May 22 2020
Let's Watch the New Wade Goodall Movie, Italo x 90s Grinspoon, and John John Shreds a Foil Sans Foil
This Week In Surfing: Ten Things from Surfing & the Internet on the Week That Was May 15 2020
See Ya Later Lockdown
Masking the Problem – Not
Ooof... that rock-off
“I’ve never surfed Merewether that perfect, but I’m wrecked."
Ooof... that rock-off
The Swell Event began on Friday